Functions of this Ministry
- Early Childhood Development Policy
- Coordination of Quality Assurance and Supervision of Pre-Primary Institutions
- ECD Teacher Management
- Early Childhood Education, Care and Development
- ECD Institutions
- ECD Financing
- ECD Research Service
- Vulnerable Children Care and Services Technology, (ICT)
- Information Communication Policy
- ICT Research Service
- Technology and Innovation Services
- Development and Promotion of Film Industry
- Public Relation Services
- Coordination of Local Communication Information Systems
- County Electronic and Print Media Services
- Promotion of ICT Innovation
- ICT Boards and Organization
- Coordination of Fibre Optic National Networks Services
- Institutional Computer and Software Management Services
- Coordination of County Public Service Affairs
- County Public Service Board Affairs
- County Sub-county ward and village council affairs
- County Public service Management and Development policy
- Performance Management and County Public Service Reforms
- County Public Service and Management
- County Labour
- Manpower policy and Development
- Employment Policy
DEPARTMENT OF ICT
The vision of the ICT Section is to transform the County into an automated work environment to enhance efficiency and efficient service delivery to the citizens of Homa bay.
The mission of the ICT Section is to provide, coordinate, and facilitate the use of technology and information resources to the satisfaction of the Homa bay County Government and its stakeholders.
• Commit ourselves to working as a team with broad-based consultation.
• Embrace excellence, efficiency and effectiveness.
Main objective –to enhance internet connectivity and access to information services in Homa-Bay County.
• Open communication and mutual respect
• Teamwork and collaboration
• Transparency, accountability and personal responsibility.
• Entrepreneurship and innovation.
• Excellence in reputation, achievement, and service to our County.
• Honesty, integrity, and fairness
Short Term Strategic Objectives
• Infrastructure development in Local Area Network and Wide Area Network.
• Establishment of ICT centers in Sub-Counties.
• Purchase of computers, printers and other accessories.
• Integrationof ICT in YPs.
Long Term Strategic Objectives
• Establishment of ICT centers in every ward.
• Establishment of ICT hub in every sub-county.
• Development of ICT Policy & Strategy development and implementation
• System Analysis and Design
• Acquisition/ Provision of hardware & software
• Automation of core County services – Networking among others
• Data management services
• Technical Support Services
• Website design and development
• Maintain server functions for email, internet, databases, file storage and administration
• Staff Training/ Training end users
The County Government of Homa- bay has developed an interactive website which serves as the biggest County virtual office. This virtual office is used as marketing tool, official County communication tool, as well as a source other important data on the county to our clients and the residents. The website can be accessed through the url: www.homabay.go.ke.
2. STAFFING LEVELS
The Homa-bay County Government has Qualified ICT Personnel whose role is to see that the County’s ICT operations are running well and in accordance with the County ICT’s framework. These include: County ICT Director, Information Technology Officer III, and System Administrators & Data Clerks.
3. ICT INFRASTRUCTURE
The Homa-bay County Government has equipped its offices with ICT equipment in line with users’ needs to enable smooth running of operations.
Most of the County’s offices are equipped with ICT equipment and among them include iPads, Desktop computers, tablets (Samsung), Laptops, Servers, Intercom facilities, printers.
The County Government wishes to seek support in improving and enhancing ICT infrastructure as the county needs access to reliable internet connection and communication infrastructure. These include fiber optic and communication masts and satellites Further, the county has one established an ICT Inovation centers within Homa-bay Sub county and also in the process to build more at the Sub county level.
The County Government also proposes the establishment of a data center to facilitate the aggregation of information about the County; this information will be used to inform further development issues in the county.
4. MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYTEM.
Homa-bay County Government uses various types of Management Information Systems in their daily operations and they include the following:
a) Integrated Financial Management Information System (IFMIS) –It’s an automation system that is used for public financial Management, It interlinks planning, budgeting, expenditure management and control, accounting, audit and reporting. The IFMIS is designed to improve systems for financial data recording, tracking and information management. This is in response to increasing demands for greater transparency and accountability in the management of the public’s finances. The IFMIS system ensures higher degree of data quality improves workforce performance for improved business results and links Planning, Policy objectives and Budget Allocations.
The system also:
• Enhances reporting capabilities to support budget planning,
• Automates the procurement process: requisition, tendering, contract award and payment.
• Facilitates auto-reconciliation of revenue and payment with automatic file generation,
• Facilitates automated revenue collections for improved cash forecasting,
• -Provides accurate and up to date information on the Government’s financial position.
b) Integrated Payroll and Personnel Database (IPPD) The Integrated Payroll and Personnel Database (IPPD)
It is a computerized system conceived to replace the manual and semi-manual system, which was cumbersome,causing salary delays, inaccuracy in determining staffing levels and leading to poor accountability of funds.
Purpose and Objectives of the IPPD
The Introduction of the IPPD has the following objectives:
• To maintain accurate and consistent personnel data in the Public Service at County Government.
• In addition, IPPD is meant to bring about uniformity in the management of personnel records in the ministries/departments by capturing identity card numbers, educational qualifications, and full dates of appointments and date of birth.
• To address the challenges in manual complement control, payroll, and Personnel registries, skill Inventories and budgeting of Personal emoluments posed by manual payroll administration and thereby do away with salarydelays, promote accurate data capture on staffing levels.
• Create an efficient computer-based system for gathering, storing and processing information for management decision making in such aspects as recruitment, training, postings, transfers, seniority lists, promotions and retirements, salary related issues, enforcing statutory deductions, processing of request for loans, advances and ensuring their recovery.
• To minimize wastage that used to be incurred through bulky printing paper whenever personnel related query was raised.
• Make it possible to use data for purposes of expediting decision making on such matters as discipline, assessments of liabilities for calculation of pensionand processing and payment of gratuities.
The County Government has networked its Headquarters (Treasury Department) using Local Area Networks (LAN) we are in the process budgeting for structured cabling for the other remaining departments. Currently, most of the offices are under refurbishment and survey on structured cabling is on course and LAN will be installed when completed.
The County Government is also planning to have all sub counties connected through Virtual Private Networks; WAN and LAN for ease of revenue collection and management.
The County Government utilizes the use of wireless networks (Wi-Fi) and cable internet to access internet services. This has enhanced smooth running of operations since communication has been made easier through emails, service etc.
6. Fiber Optic Cable Utilization
The National Government through the Ministry of E-Government has already connected the fiber optic Cable at Governor’s office and its being used heavily on running the IFMIS system, and plans are underway to extend the cable to ministries and to sub county offices.
7. ICT CENTRE FOR EXCELLENCE AND INOVATION
The County Government of Homa bay through the CEC of Education and ICT has come up with one innovation center based at Homa bay Sub County which have been fitted with: Computers, Internet Services, Photocopying Machine and printer
The center is aimed to help residents’ access information faster, unlike before when people had to travel elsewhere in search of internet services and also aimed to enhance information dissemination to improve service delivery.
Other objectives of the Centre are: increase ICT Knowledge and awareness among the citizens, Generate direct employment through it, to promote ICT as a tool for development, Creation of knowledge based to communities through capacity building initiatives and facilitating youth empowerment and skills development.
Specifically the Centre is designed to undertake the following:
-Promotion of access to ICT facilities and services in local communities
-Develop specialized skills among teachers and students in the field of ICT
-Train county Governments staffs on ICT
-Facilitate penetration of ICT usage in rural areas of the economy
-Set up a virtual reality lab for the promotion of technologies in the area of artificial intelligence.
-Impart advanced and specialized training programs in ICT to the citizens of Homa-bay and the wider region.
8. DIGITAL PRINTER
The County has also procured a digital printer which is capable of printing 150 papers per minute which will be used to print Exam papers, brochures, programs and posters among others.
The Government of Homa bay has sponsored staff to attend various ICT courses due to the rapid changes in technology in ICT touching on the following matters:
• ICT to Support for IFMIS Users
• Plan to record
• Procure to pay
• Hardware and software
Other Essential ICT Systems to Be Established
CIDP Management System:
The Homa bay County Government is expected to put in place a system for monitoring implementation of the County Integrated Development Plan (CIDP). This system shall track on a quarterly basis progress of all projects implemented under this plan the system is yet to be procured.
GIS Spatial Framework CIPD Management System:
The County government shall implement a access controlled GIS system that will bring together all information on development activities in the county within one system in accordance with the requirements of section 107 of the County Governments Act.
Future plans The department intends to interconnect all the 8 sub-counties to be part of the L.A.N, Procure Revenue Collection System by setting up ERP, Enterprise Resource Planning System which will promote transparency, accountability and efficiency in the county revenue transaction.